What is SPF delegation and who is responsible for setting it up?
- SPF Delegation is a one-time setup that compresses the SPF record and required SPF lookups, adding virtually unlimited lookups to an SPF record.
- The current SPF record configuration must be updated to set up SPF Delegation, which must be published by the DNS Manager or hosting company.
Can a domain have multiple SPF records?
- No, a domain name cannot have multiple SPF records.
- If you want to add more sources, you’ll need to update the existing record or (if the record does not exist yet) create a new record with multiple entries.
What is an SPF lookup and how can the lookup limitation be avoided?
- An SPF lookup is a DNS record lookup that checks the mechanisms that are configured in the SPF record. All mechanisms configured in the SPF record that cause a DNS record lookup are recognized as lookups. By default, an SPF record is limited to 10 ‘lookups’ to reduce the load on the email receivers’ side. SPF delegation allows users to overcome the lookup limitation by compressing the SPF record and required SPF lookups, adding virtually unlimited lookups to an SPF record.
Who is responsible for hosting and managing SPF records, and how can errors be avoided?
- SPF records are set up on a domain and are managed by the IT department.
- Adding a new sending vendor is usually the responsibility of the email team, who will hand it over to the IT department and finally to the DNS manager.
- Making DNS changes can lead to error-prone and unnecessarily expensive procedures that occur each time your organization adds or removes email vendors.
- SPF delegation allows users to host and manage their SPF records and avoid errors.
How does the SPF delegation service recognize changes in IP range and how quickly will the delegated SPF record get updated?
- As part of the monitoring process, the SPF Delegation service will perform background checks on configured sources included in the SPF record.
- When a source changes the monitored SPF record, this change will be processed, and the delegated SPF record will be updated accordingly.
- The delegated SPF record will be updated just as fast as a regular SPF record is updated when a regular include changes its IP range.
Can labels be added to servers?
Yes, labels can be added to servers with a description of the service for which the server is specified. This can help with the organization and management of the SPF record.
What is the purpose of adding labels to servers?
The purpose of adding labels to servers is to help with the organization and management of the SPF record. By including descriptions of the services for which the servers are specified, it can be easier to understand and manage the SPF record.
Is it necessary to add labels to servers?
No, adding labels to servers is not necessary for SPF record configuration. However, it can be helpful for organization and management purposes.